May 10th is just around the corner, and this year, make Mom a healthy Mother’s Day brunch that will delight her taste buds without wrecking her diet (or at least steer your family in the right direction!) The Daily Plate on LIVESTRONG.COM has compiled some healthy and tasty alternatives to the typical calorie-filled Mother’s Day brunch items.
Here’s a list of some Mother’s Day food and drink favorites below, with delicious alternatives. Recipes for these healthy alternatives can be found at: Healthy Mother’s Day Brunch Tips on LIVESTRONG.COM.
• Instead of: Eggs Benedict – 442 calories and 36 fat grams; have: Mediterranean Eggs Benedict — 355 calories and 15 fat grams
• Instead of: Traditional French Toast — 2 slices = 356 calories, 19 fat grams, Add Maple Syrup 2 Tbsp = 100 calories; have: Baked French Toast with Berry Medley– 2 slices = 270 calories, 6.7 fat grams
• Instead of: Traditional Breakfast Potatoes – 186 calories, 7 fat grams; have: Roasted Sweet Potatoes – 118 calories, 3.5 fat grams
• Instead of: Classic Coffee Cake — 1 slice, 570 calories, 28 fat grams; have: Low Fat Apple Pecan Cake — 1 slice = 179 calories, 4.8 fat grams
• Instead of: Traditional Bacon — 2 slices = 109 calories, 9 fat grams; choose: Turkey Bacon — 2 slices = 70 calories, 5 fat grams
• Instead of: Beef Sausage — 2 links = 132 calories, 10.1 fat grams; choose: Chicken Sausage — 2 oz. = 80 calories, 4 fat grams
• Mimosas are great at 80 calories for 4 oz!
Other Healthy Brunch Tips:
- Mixed Green salads loaded with fresh veggies – like Spinach, Pear and Gorgonzola SaladFruit Platters are healthy and delicious – no fat and full of fiber too.
Making Egg White Scrambles with veggies and a sprinkle of Feta Cheese.